Saturday 3 April 2010

Kick-Ass and the C-Word




So it seems that actress Chloe Moretz has caused uproar in the movie world by saying the dreaded C-word in the new Kick-Ass movie. Follow the link for the full story.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/apr/02/kick-ass-bad-language

Should we be outraged by this? Or merely disappointed? The F-word was once considered taboo in the film and television world, now it appears regularly and we don't bat an eyelid, well hardly anyway. Will the C-word follow suit? Only time will tell.

I suppose what makes this so shocking is that it is uttered by an 11-year-old character to a room full of adults in a 15 certificate movie. Now we will have schoolkids walking into classrooms and calling everyone by the forbidden C-word. Is this likely? Or am I too much out of touch with kids that age nowadays? I know I ought to be.

I have no desire to go and see this teen film at the cinema. I will most likely watch it when it appears on the Sky movie channels, purely out of interest. I don't want to be in a cinema listening to teenagers shouting and laughing, and chatting into mobile phones, because it'a annoying, and I don't want a face full of bleach either.

Incidentally, Chloe Moretz is lined up as one of the main characters in the new film Let Me In, the movie of John Ajvide Lindqvist's book Let The Right One In. In the USA the book is simply known as Let Me In. Trust the yanks...

No comments: