Saturday 10 March 2007

Lolita

This morning the Boss of the House and I visited our local Lloyd's Bar for a quick breakfast, something we do on a regular basis. There was a different girl behind the counter, a lovely young lass with blonde hair and spectacles, and it was only when I happened to examine the receipt that I found out her name is Lolita. It's the first time in my life that I have ever known anyone to actually bear that Christian name. It got me wondering why her parents chose this for her. I doubt that it was because of the novel by Nabokov; it would be more likely because of the film, and even more likely the 1997 version starring Jeremy Irons than the 1962 one starring James Mason, as they would be too young to recall the original. All the same, a rather unusual name I reckon, and I can imagine all the stick she would have received during her school years; if, that is, her school companions were aware of the significance of the name, which I doubt. Still, it was an enjoyable breakfast. Thank you, Lolita!



No comments: